Computer Use Policies And Computer Procedures
All library customers are expected to use the Internet in a responsible and courteous manner. Consistent with the purposes for which it is provided, and to follow all rules, regulations and procedures established for its use. The following rules and regulations shall apply to all those using the Internet services provided by the Pennsauken Free Public Library:
- Internet chatting or instant messaging is not allowed.
- Gaming is allowed at the discretion of the Librarian.
- The Librarian must approve all external devices inserted into the library computer before they may be used.
- Computer usage is limited to 60-minute sessions. The Librarian may grant additional time if there are no people waiting to use the stations.
- Children under the age of nine are required to have a parent or guardian with them at all times when using the computers.
- Parents or guardians are soley responsible for Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children. Some materials may be offensive, disturbing and/or illegal.
- Computers are turned off 15 minutes prior to closing time.
- Printing from the computers is not a free service. Patrons will need to follow posted printing and payment procedures.
- The quality of information on the Internet varies, and each user must consider the validity and reliability of the information found.
- Library staff cannot control the availability of information links, which change rapidly and unpredictably.
- Library staff will assist patrons with Internet use as time permits, but cannot offer personal instruction on Internet operations or personal computer skills.
- Library staff does not monitor or supervise Internet access, although they have the authority to end a session when material on the screen is inappropriate to our public setting.
- The use of the Internet is a privilege. Inappropriate use will result in suspension and/or eventual cancellation of this privilege.
- Patrons must refrain from using the Library's Internet resources to conduct a business or commercial enterprise. Patron's also may not engage in commercial activity such as the distribution of advertising
- Users must follow all procedures, practices, and rules posted at workstations.
- Users must refrain from conduct which is harmful or potentially harmful to our computers.
- The Library is not liable for damage to a user's disk, flash drive, or computer, or for any loss of data that may occur from use of the Library's computers or wireless.
- Downloading of any program or software to the library computers and its hard drive is not allowed.
- Violation of computer system integrity by altering, removing, or damaging configurations, hardware or software is not permitted.
- Unauthorized access to any computer system to obtain files, passwords, or data of others and illegal or unethical use of the Internet is not permitted.
- Illegal activity involving the Library's Internet resources will be subject to prosecution by the appropriate authorities.
- Normal regulations governing conduct in the library and library use must be observed by all users.
- The Library will make reasonable efforts to protect the privacy of every user. However, this privilege cannot be guaranteed. Think before you write; other people can read information that you enter into the Internet.
- The Library is not liable for any consequences of copyright infringement.
- Library staff reserves the right to monitor use of the Internet workstations and wireless to ensure compliance with this policy.
- Cell phones are to be turned off or put on "vibrate only" within the facility. Calls may be made within the lobby area only.